1. Hillary Crowe wrote a blog post for GoCrimson.com: Harvard’s athletics site is introducing a new feature this year called “Around the Yard: Life as a Harvard Student-Athlete”, in which certain Harvard student-athletes offer first-person narratives about their experiences at the school. Crowe, a senior forward on the women’s hockey team, wrote her own post for the feature this week.
2. Clarkson raised its national championship banner: The Golden Knights honored the 2014 NCAA Division I National Championship team at their home opener on Saturday against the Saints. The national championship banner was raised and the team received its national championship rings as well.
3. The league’s first weekly award winners were announced: St. Lawrence swept the weekly awards, with sophomore forward Brooke Webster took home ECAC Player of the Week honors after netting two goals in the Saints’ win against Clarkson and then adding another in Saturday’s loss to the Golden Knights. Kennedy Marchment was named the conference’s Rookie of the Week, tallying a goal and an assist in the win, and Carmen MacDonald’s 60 saves during the weekend split earned her Defensive Player of the Week honors. The full release can be found here.
4. St. Lawrence upset Clarkson in the very first game of the season: Jessica Hon snapped a 3-3 tie with just over two minutes remaining in the third period to help lift the Saints to an upset win over the defending national champions. It didn’t take very long for the 2014-15 season to get exciting; it was the very first action of the year for both teams and the first full game day of the season. Hockey is fun.
5. Brown added Lindsay Berman to its coaching staff: Berman, a former player at Northeastern and assistant coach at the University of Massachusetts-Boston, has joined the Bears’ staff as an assistant coach. Said Berman: “I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of such a storied program within this prestigious institution. I’m looking forward to working with a talented group of student-athletes, while coaching alongside Coach Bourbeau and Coach Kirchner. Brown women’s hockey is in the midst of an exciting time, and I can’t wait to get started.”