1. The league’s first weekly award winners were announced: Wisconsin’s Karley Sylvester, Bemidji State’s Ivana Bilic, and Wisconsin’s Annie Pankowski were the big winners on Oct. 1. Sylvester was named the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week after scoring two goals and four assists on the weekend. Bilic tallied two assists in the Beavers’ series sweep of Robert Morris and blocked five shots to win Defensive Player of the Week. Pankowski earned Rookie of the Week honors after a four-assist game against Lindenwood. The full release of weekly award winners can be found here.
2. Former Wisconsin forward Hilary Knight practiced with the Anaheim Ducks: The two-time Olympian is most likely the first female who’s not a goaltender to practice with an NHL team; Canadian Olympic goalie Shannon Szabados practiced with the Edmonton Oilers just last season. Here’s a story from ESPN after Knight’s practice stint.
3. Bemidji State is 4-0-0: And looking really good at the start of the year. The Beavers received votes in the latest polls thanks to their hot start; this weekend, they beat RPI and Vermont in a pair of 4-0 wins.
4. Minnesota State announced its 2014-15 captains: Senior forward Natalie Stoltz will captain the Mavericks this year; she’ll be assisted by fellow senior forward Kathleen Rogan and senior defenseman Elisabeth Hewitt. The full release from Minnesota State can be found here.
5. Gracen Hirschy is Vine famous: